Monday 26 October 2015

Power supply options

Basically, there are three or four options for a RepRap power supply. A laptop power brick is an easy and safe way but the max power is usually too low for printer with a heatbed. One could get a separate brick for heatbed, though.

A bit more common approach is to use ATX power supply. Unfortunately I don't have any spare ones around and a new quality ATX providing 30A 12V is not free. Second hand ATX I found were generally too old and weak.

LED strip power supply is pretty cheap compared to its power but the quality varies and I really don't like the idea of wiring the mains socket to terminals and somehow securing them from accidental poking. As I have little kids running around this alternative is ruled out.

Now, after reading about this topic for a while I came across an idea of using server power supply. These are high quality units meant for 24/7 use. They come with safe mains connection and they output more than enough power on 12V lines. I decided to buy a second hand HP DPS-600PB B 575W which provides 47A on 12V.  The best part is the price - 30 euros delivery included.

I will post more details about this PSU as soon as I receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment