Saturday 27 February 2016

Enclosure controller

As mentioned in an earlier post I have a plan to add an Arduino Uno based controller for enclosure. Its responsibility is to monitor temperature, control ventilation fan speed and switch on the main relay. It also has a simple 1602 LCD display shield for temperature and other information. At the moment I haven't planned any use for the keys of the display shield.

So far I have been testing the design on a breadboard in order to get temperature reading and relay control working. I have plenty of 100k Ohm NTC 3950 thermistors so I used one to measure temperature using voltage divider circuit and Steinhart–Hart equation in the Arduino code. There are plenty of examples online how to wire this up.

The main relay is an automotive 40A relay with integrated fuse socket. The funny thing was it actually came with a 30A fuse. That should be enough, though. In order to energise the coil of the relay I used BC548 NPN transistor. I also added 1N4148 as a flyback diode.

Adding a PWM controlled 12V should be straightforward. I will use BC548 or BC639 but I might add a capacitor to smooth out the fan control. After I have that sorted out on the breadboard I'll solder everything together.


No comments:

Post a Comment