Monday 2 November 2015

Power supply modification

My  HP DPS-600PB B arrived today and I managed to modify it to supply 12V without additional hardware attached. The modification is really simple and requires only basic soldering skills, no need to open the PSU enclosure.

HP DPS-600PB B

Before anything else I plugged the unit in. The fan started to rotate but no 12V output. The next step was to unplug it, heat up the soldering iron and solder pins 4, 6, 8 and 10 together.

Pins 4, 6, 8 and 10 soldered together. Two ground connectors on the left and two +12V on the right.


Then I powered up the unit again and I measured 12V outputs again. Now I got nice 12.5V without load. I did not invent this myself - these units are very popular among RC hobbyists and all kind of modifications have been created. I was happy to get 12V 47A with 30 euros. I still need to come up some decent connectors for outputs and I might remove the handle and the red locking tab.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2371780
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061

No comments:

Post a Comment